Friday, February 17, 2012

Because I Am The 'Other' Sex

During winters, I walk back home from college everyday, mostly around 3:30 in the afternoon. It is a 25 minute walk through the shady and nearly empty lanes of Lajpat Nagar III  and with earphones popped in, I hardly bother to notice whats around. Except for, I can't help but notice the eyes of a zillion 'male' passerby-s sticking on to me, all at different places of course. Some of them sing cheesy songs, I can lip read  *Dil to pagal hai, dil deewana hai*. Some are 18 year old, some are 60.

I do not wish to generalise and state that they are ALL sex-hungry people ogling at me, and my face and every other 'interesting' part of my body (read- boobs and butts) gaining some sort of visual satisfaction out of the same. But do I have a choice? 

Tell me he's staring at my breasts out of envy, I swear I'd let him do so out of sympathy AND I'd also go and alter Freud's theories. 
Tell me he's singing songs just because he thinks I resemble one of Indian Idol's judges. *faints*
Tell me he's staring at my face because he deals in anti-acne and fairness creams and hopes I might buy them.
Tell me he's grinning because he can read what my Garfield bag quotes, and I shall take that as a compliment.

Tell me he is NOT staring at me because I am the 'Other' sex, because I am a woman.
Tell me so, it will make me happy. It will put me out of fear.

Do I have a choice, again?

Just some slight times, I might ignore, but mostly I look up and give them the 'come-touch-me-and-i-shall-kick-your-balls-off' look. It helps, it does.
But the truth is, I am not a karate kid. And I am scared.
And this is not my story alone.

A lot of people advise me to join Martial Arts. But I ask Why?
WHY do I have to take a step forward? Why do I have to curtail my choice of clothing? Why do I have to be careful and concerned while walking on the streets? Why am I instructed about everything?

Why can't he?

Next time, don't tell me what to wear or where to go or how to take care of myself. 
TELL HIM NOT TO RAPE.


5 comments:

Astha Agarwal said...

That's the story of every woman's life! The fact that we are insecure inside our houses as well as outside on the streets; that the insecurity permeates both the private and public spheres (if anyone believes in any compartmentalization), should make "them" feel ashamed! Why is my freedom curtailed because a pervert cannot have any control on his desperate sperms?? He has freedom to enjoy his life in whichever way possible (even if it involves violating somebody's private space). I don't even have freedom to live without fear! Or I should perhaps start living "freely inside the prison".

Pie said...

Absolutely.

And above all of that, its always a her's fault. NEVER a His.

Shal said...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3025351437093&set=a.2285643984869.2132689.1361980043&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150670613570809&set=a.10150124122295809.311476.643355808&type=1

Shal said...

Your article/blog reminded me of these photos...

Pie said...

The pictures depict an absolutely true reflection of the society we live in.

Sad.